Re: [Asrg] Proposal for transition to authenticated email

2003-05-01 09:28:53
On Wed, Apr 30, 2003, Daniel Feenberg wrote:

Wouldn't TLS traffic go via port 465 in most cases? I don't think any

No. I'm talking about STARTTLS, not smtps.

of the proposals here are intended to regulate anything except port 25.

In any case, for TLS wouldn't you need explicit cooperation from the the
remote MTA, in which case the pair of you could agree to use a port other

There is a standard, why do you want to invent something new?
It's hard enough to get people to use this standard, no need
to make it even more complicated...

than 25. Or is there a way to use TLS when communicating with strangers?

Yes.  Please see RFC 2487 (SMTP Service Extension for Secure SMTP
over TLS).