Re: [Asrg] Proposal for transition to authenticated email

2003-05-01 09:51:29
On Thu, 1 May 2003 04:22:24 -0400
Ken Hirsch <kenhirsch(_at_)myself(_dot_)com> wrote:
From: "Jim Youll" <jim(_at_)media(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu>

I don't understand this objection.  You can send to the ISP's SMTP
server at the same speed as you send to another SMTP server.

For me the problems with using a smarthost are:

  a) I can't guarantee delivery performance or behaviour.

  b) I don't have transparency into the delivery process and so don't
  know how, when, or two whom any particular mail was delivered.

I spend considerable time and effort on building fast mail systems and
would rather not throw that away on a smarthost of dubious provenance,
most especially when there is little motivation or interest on the ISP's
job to do a particularly good job there.  Further, it helps me offer a
superlative service when I have full delivery and log transparency.  I
somewhat regularly get contacted by third parties with, "Why am I not
getting my mail?", and the fact that I can reply in single digit minutes
with, "I delivered your mail to your MX at <address> at <time> without
problem and here are the logs to show it, it must be something at your
end..." is a great help.

  Amusingly this happens several times a year, and every time has been a
  broken spam filter (matching things like "money"), or MTA
  misconfiguration at their end that they were previously unaware of
  (Hey, we've been losing mail for weeks!).

Further, why should an independent organization's e-mail policies be
subject to the wholly unrelated policies of an intermediate party?

Because the current system is broken!

My car is currently broken (long story).  However, I'm not about to
revert to hansom cabs or a chauffeur just because I need a new petrol
fill-pipe vent valve (kinda dangerous, I get strong explosive-level
petrol fumes in the passenger cabin).

Translation: I'm convinced that we are dealing with Humpty Dumpty here.

--
J C Lawrence
claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu               He lived as a devil, eh?