Re: [Asrg] seeking comments on new RMX article

2003-05-05 08:45:14
Hadmut,

HD> you're correct in the end user environment (e.g. inventing new
HD> features for web browsers). You're not correct in the administration
HD> environment of DNS records. >98% of the DNS zone tables fall into
HD> one of the two categories:

Please review the last 10 years of history, concerning the adoption of
new Internet protocols. And please remember that protocols are adopted
by system administrators, not users.

Adoption takes much, much longer than folks seem to be appreciating.

Please also realize that what is possible in one environment is almost
never possible in *all* environments.  So when you cite what is possible
in one place, chose several other, unrelated environments and see
whether it is equally possible to achieve the same, wonderful things.

Usually it is not.

HD> I know what I am talking about. I was working for the largest german
HD> domain and web service provider, hosting the DNS tables for about
HD> 70% of german domains.

Please recite your experiences with Malaysian ISPs, US ISPs, Bolivian
ISPs and Tunisian ISPs.  They, too, must accomplish adoption before the
proposed mechanism is useful.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>