Re: [Asrg] RMX evaluation (was RE: Is there anything good enough? - Spoofing stats)

2003-05-08 12:06:54
Paul Judge <paul(_dot_)judge(_at_)ciphertrust(_dot_)com> wrote:
Hadmut and/or Mike, please read the other links that Vernon provided "
http://www.google.com/search?q=match+sender+domain+hotmail and
http://www.monkeys.com/anti-spam/filtering/additions.html

  That last link describes a method to attempt to discover *implicit*
consent, based on information in DNS.  e.g.

  For client/domain Y claiming to be in domain X, consent is implicit if:

    - domain X has an MX record that contains/names domain Y

  They further say:

   "... we should be generous and liberal in our attempts to
    ``correlate'' the envelope sender domain name with the SMTP client
    that is sending us the mail, ..."

  Which I interpret as acknowledging the method is trying to discover
implicit consent.

  RMX makes that consent explicit.  Further, RMX permits "wildcard"
consent to be applied to any network, so that with the consent of the
DNS administrator, dial-up users can claim to be within a domain, in
situations where it is otherwise difficult to discover implicit
consent, based on assumptions about use of domain names.

  Alan DeKok.