Re: [Asrg] Re: RMX evaluation

2003-05-08 12:34:19
From: Hadmut Danisch <hadmut(_at_)danisch(_dot_)de>

  1. an SMTP server first compares the reverse DNS name of the SMTP
   client with the sender domain.  If they match by the usual rules
   (e.g. user(_at_)example(_dot_)com matches mailhost.example.com), then
the STMP
   client is authorized.  To prevent forgery, the usual reverse-forward
   DNS check is made.

This doesn't work in common. A host can have only one reverse DNS
name, but deliver for many different domains.

That check is only the first check.  If it fails, then no harm is done.

Moreover, as was recently discussed in this mailing list, a host can
have many reverse DNS names.  See the thread that contains
https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg04280.html

Note that I've removed the test case mentioned in that message.
If there is any doubt that it worked, I can easily restore it.