Re: [Asrg] Is there anything good enough? - Spoofing stats

2003-05-08 12:53:09
On Thursday 08 May 2003 01:50 pm, Vernon Schryver wrote:
Most authorization policies are not documented in RFCs.  Long established
spam defenses were once controversial hacks.  For example, requiring
that sender domains be present and valid was controversial when AOL
started checking, but it is now the default in popular MTAs.  Have
you turned off that check because it is not mandated by an RFC?

I haven't turned it on yet.  So I guess so.
There is a direct logic path for that rule though.
1.  Someone is sending me a message
2.  The domain they are sending from does not exist
3.  Therefore they are trying to deceive me and there is no need to bother
accepting it.

The hacks I am objecting to, if I understand them correctly, abuse MX records
so that I would only accept mail from a server if it is eligible to receive
mail.  Sending and receiving are different functions and should not be
required to be done by the same machine(s).