RE: [Asrg] Assume perfect knowledge by domain registry provisioners, so what?

2003-05-12 08:35:01
On Monday, May 12, 2003 3:51 AM, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine
[SMTP:brunner(_at_)nic-naa(_dot_)net] wrote:
The point of the first question, capability of signalling, is that if
impossible, then the question of whether there is a role for registrars
is answered in the negative, for spam. For spammers (trace), signalling
is not an issue.

Yes, I agree.

The point of asking if data types matter, is that one set of registries are
provisioned (allow write access with some authentication and validity check
by multile actors to some authoritative store) with character data typed data
(domain names), another set with decimal data typed data (addresses). Each is
input to distinct publication systems. Differences in the pro formas for each
are not essential, except where they present latency of response, and may be
the root cause for an incapability of signalling.

I did not know the systems were disjoint.  If the pro formas are not essential
to your proposal, then I think it is a matter of determining the cause and
remedy to the latency issue.  Is latency affected by input serialization or
blocking?  Is it arbitration? If that is the case then it may be unworkable.
Could you possibly expand on where latency is introduced into the system?  I
can see (I surmise) where the signaling is an issue with respect to arbitration
where I am not clear is whether that presents a significant hurdle unless tied
other disjoint systems or processes.  Is there a treatment of this where I can
get
more information?

Clearly each disjoint instance of authority for a publication of a resource
of either type is capable of responding meaningfully to notice of initial
discovery of a source of spam.

That seems reasonable, given adequate (or workable) notification to that
system.
It may not be workable however due to (what you may be referring to above
ref. latency) the required cache convergence at other points in the system.

Is there any benefit to making it possible for these disjoint instances of
authority to be aware of their responces to notice of initial discovery of
a source of spam?

It may be, by my thinking.  However, I must admit this will take a little more
research on my part for a fuller understanding of the system.  In any event if
a channel that is sufficiently timely can be implemented, its properties should
include some notification periodicity such that issues of latency can be
reduced.

This is a possible application of something I've been working on.

I would like to hear more.

-e