Re: [Asrg] Assume perfect knowledge by domain registry provisioners, so what?

2003-05-09 09:56:18
http://www.icann.org/gnso/whois-tf/report-19feb03.htm

There's an interesting minority report at the bottom.

Only those who are spammer fighters instead of spam fighters object
to nonsense in domain registration contact data.  People who prefer
reducing spam to "getting back at" or otherwise counting coup on
spammers don't care what tags spammers use in their whois data, except
that we prefer common threads for a given group of spammers to ease
recognizing familiar sources when maintaining our blacklists.  The
campaigns of spammer fighters against bogus whois data have caused us
grief and are a waste of time.  The most you can force spammers to do
is pick random names, addresses, and telephone numbers from telephone
directories that are undetectably bad for the lifetime of the domain
name instead of exercising their individual and distinctive creativity.