Re: [Asrg] Assume perfect knowledge by domain registry provisioners, so what?

2003-05-09 02:21:23

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:
Why should domain name registry operators and their registrars "care" about
this problem, and assuming they did "care", what could they know that would
be in their interests to know?

I ask this as a contributor to a domain name registry provisioning protocol,
a prior registry operator (gTLD and ccTLD) and registrar (current, voting),
as well as a minor ISP operator.

Eric,

Are the following arguments useful to you?:

As the owner of several domains, my original reason for "inventing" RMX (I
was unaware of Hadmut's proposal when I first wrote the article) was
frustration at being unable to prevent spammers from using my domain name
in their return address.

RMX is a proposal which will allow domain owners--your customers--to take
back control over email sent out with their names attached to it.

Also, because there is a great deal of overlap between registry operators
and nameserver operators, some members of your group may be interested in
providing RMX listings for their customers.

Any proposal which provides information that can help separate spam from
ham increases the value of email, and therefore the Internet and domain
names.  This is in the best interest of registry operators and their
registrars.

I can think of a few other arguments too, but it's 2:20AM, so I'm a bit
incoherent.  :)  Please email me off-list if you need more material.

Regards,
Mike