Re: [Asrg] Assume perfect knowledge by domain registry provisioners, so what?

2003-05-09 06:06:14
From: David Walker <antispam(_at_)grax(_dot_)com>

I can't imagine a scenario where a registry provider would be concerned about
spam as a part of providing registry services.  A registry doesn't gain or
lose because a registered domain is used for spam and they don't have any
dutues in overseeing how a domain is used.

Some registrars have asserted that they will cancel registrations of
domains for spamming.  Some have even followed through.  For example,
Domains by Proxy has been zapping spammers using its anonymizing
registration service.  The operators of .BZ have recently shocked the
world by terminating a spammer on the pretex of a bad contact address.
There are others who get less attention because they are not popular
among spammers.

Registries and registrars can gain or lose because a registered domain
is used for spam, because the reputation of the domain suffers.  Users
who really hate spam and see only spam from a new TLD are likely to
blacklist it.  I suspect that domain names in .bz and .biz are worth
a lot less to organizations who want to send legitimate mail than
names in .com because of this effect.