[Asrg] Assume perfect knowledge by domain registry provisioners, so what?

2003-05-08 16:47:44
The discussion of RMX prompts me to ask a question.

Why should domain name registry operators and their registrars "care" about
this problem, and assuming they did "care", what could they know that would
be in their interests to know?

I ask this as a contributor to a domain name registry provisioning protocol,
a prior registry operator (gTLD and ccTLD) and registrar (current, voting),
as well as a minor ISP operator.

For reasons others have said sufficiently, and because I have thought about
an equivlant mechanism for a problem I once thought similar, I don't think
RMX is useful in this problem domain.

That said, I want to know if, assuming perfect knowledge in the universe of
dns provisioners (not publishers, that is seperate question), any actor(s)
in that universe could do anything that would have a first-order effect on
the present spam problem.

RMX advocates should have a story I can relate to the ICANN Registrars
Constituency meeting in Montreal next month.

Eric

Ob.Tech.: I've proposed making EPP peer-to-peer (beep transport mapping),
with a registrar-initiated session-establishment restriction removed, and
registry-initiated state-push, solving the escrow and trans-registry sets
of problems, and I'm mildly curious if there is a serious use case for any
parts of this arise from an ability to be causal in technical solutions to
spam.