Re: [Asrg] Assume perfect knowledge by domain registry provisioners, so what?

2003-05-09 05:51:42
Please also don't assert truth for complex systems, it is a distraction.
I'll attempt to use more pleasing semantics in the future.

I enjoy Baldric in Black Adder, for whom every plan is "cunning", but that
is comedy.

I can't imagine a scenario where a registry provider would be concerned about
spam as a part of providing registry services.  A registry doesn't gain or
lose because a registered domain is used for spam and they don't have any
dutues in overseeing how a domain is used.

Spammers generally don't pay for domain names.
Spammers generally don't pay for bandwidth.
Spammers generally don't pay for ...

It may well be that the cost to registry provisioning actors is insufficient
to motivate operational change, or regulatory change. It may also be that no
benefit can accrue to registry provisioning actors. That is what I'm trying
to determin.

Incidently, one registrar I know of markets their operational technique as
having registrant-desired anti-spam properties.

Claims for duty exist. See Prima Toy (pokey.com), "reserved names" in ICANN
contracts, and various national laws, actual or proposed, viz,
http://www.house.gov/rules/pence.pdf?tag=nl. There are mailing lists for
claims.

Eric