Re: [Asrg] Removing the incentive to spam

2003-05-17 09:42:23
From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>

The biggest thing MSN, AOL, and Hotmail could do against spam is turn
off HTML by default.

Turning off email completely would work as well.  Outside of the
technical community almost all the email I see is HTML.  I don't
think it's going to happen--whether or not it should.

Yes, but if AOL/Netscape and Microsoft would simply switch to a reasonable
default, the HTML mail problem would be fixed.  They could still send
HTML when the sending user asked for any sort of formatting that actually
requires some sort of mark-up language.  That would eliminate almost
all legitimate HTML mail within a single AOL/Microsoft update cycle,
and that would let many users turn off incoming HTML mail.

Of course, there is as much chance of that as Microsoft fixing the
years old bug that will cause some people to think that this messages
ends before it really does.
See http://www.google.com/search?q=microsoft+begin+uuencode

begin  but
You should read WORKAROUND" in  http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=265230
because you shouldn't believe me if I quoted it:

    To workaround this problem:

      Do not start messages with the word "begin" followed by two spaces.
      Use only one space between the word "begin" and the following data.
      Capitalize the word "begin" so that it is reads "Begin."
      Use a different word such as "start" or "commence.