Re: [Asrg] Removing the incentive to spam

2003-05-15 12:23:26

On May 14, 2003 at 21:59 tbartel(_at_)assurancesys(_dot_)com (Tom Bartel) wrote:
I am an email packrat (I suspect there are others like me) and one of my
webmail accounts currently has 1347 messages totaling 36.9MB in storage
space.  The messages go back several months.  I would guess this is
potentially the upper end of the bell curve, but don't have a clue.
Again, maybe someone on the list possibly has some data points for this.

A few percent of the mailboxes on World are >50MB, there are quite a
few >100MB, some as much as 300MB. Admittedly it drops off rapidly
with less than 10% > 32MB, but that's all way above what you suspected
I think.

Since spam seems to be rising rapidly and, I think it's safe to say
tho I won't say I have data, spam msgs are expanding in size due to
the inclusion of graphics etc (often to by-pass spam filters!) the
outlook is bleak and worthwhile taking seriously.

I'm not sure how the inclusion of graphics increases the storage size of
mail.  It seems many spam messages now commonly use images to display
the "text" portion of their message, but the images are references to
external servers with fully qualified links.  Unless spammers are
encoding and embedding graphics in the message using multipart/related
MIME, I don't think HTML email adds to storage size.  It may infact
reduce storage size.

Yes, spammers encode the images in-line as base64 MIME parts.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*