Re: [Asrg] Some data on the validity of MAIL FROM addresses

2003-05-20 05:42:12
Folks, the email operations world has increasingly moved away from
real-time processing of SMTP data.

A colleague has just drawn my attention to the relevant part of rfc2505
(BCP 30) - for completeness here it is:

<quote>
1.5. Where to block spam, in SMTP, in RFC822 or in the UA

   Our basic assumption is that refuse/accept is handled at the SMTP
   layer and that an MTA that decides to refuse a message should do so
   while still in the SMTP dialogue. First, this means that we do not
   have to store a copy of a message we later decide to refuse and
   second, our responsibility for that message is low or none - since we
   have not yet read it in, we leave it to the sender to handle the
   error.

</quote>

I apologise for not thinking to reference this in my initial reply to the
point you raised.