Re: [Asrg] Could/Should/Must law require mechanism?

2003-05-20 05:04:57

On Mon, 19 May 2003, Jeffrey Race wrote:

In adjudicating the equities involved where no law dictates, the courts
pay close attention to the practices and standards governing the
activities involved.  For this reason it is essential that the Internet
community establish clear expectations regarding the acts to be performed
by, and against, spam enablers.   I have attempted to draft some ideas
at

  <http://www.camblab.com/misc/univ_std.txt>

   and the thinking which led to the above

 <http://www.camblab.com/nugget/spam_03.pdf>

Comments welcome.

Jeffrey Race

I agree with the requirement outlined in the document, but is all the
editorializing and justification appropriate for such a document?
In particular, the blanket condemnation of for-profit enterprise is
certain to signal to any judge that the document could not possibly
represent common industry practice, and is therefore not very relevant to
his decision. That at least should be removed.