RE: [Asrg] Could/Should/Must law require mechanism?

2003-05-21 04:28:59
Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote (20/5/2003):

The term "pollution" is distracting.

I don't agree.  It is precise - spam IS pollution.  And the historical
analogy is accurate.

This entire passage is wrong.

The Internet's design and management were predicated on voluntary
cooperation, self-imposed good behavior, and the non-profit
motivational structure of custodians of Internet Resources (IR)
extant at its inception.

Not entirely - the "vluntary cooperation" part is correct.  I agree that the
rest is wrong. For example "non-profit motivational structure" is, to see
the least, an odd description of the average defence contractor.

This entire section is wrong.

2.4 IP Address and Domain Name Registrars

One would expect many members of this list to think it wrong (officers of
ISPs and/or Registrars) because it points the finger clearly at them.
Nevertheless, I believe that far from being entirely wrong it is (perhaps
not quite entirely but certainly mostly) right.

This mini-section is wrong.

2.5 Anonymity

Probably wrong, since formally teh ICANN terms for registrars preclude
anonymity.  I thinkl the problem here is that there's a need to distinguish
between

(i) anonymity (in some form) of the registrant of a domain: currently this
is not allowed in theory, but there is a need for well defined exceptions
and outside those exceptions the rules need to be enforced at least in
response to complaints, and

(ii) anonimity of ISP customers, where some of the rules are determined
effectively by backbone providers, and vary from provider to provider, and
ISPs have some flexibility in how they interpret these rules and pass them
on down to their users, so that at the bottom level there is no coherence at
all. But best current practics is surely to be able to identify clients.

Tom