Re: [Asrg] Could/Should/Must law require mechanism?

2003-05-19 14:04:25

From: "Bob Wyman" <bob(_at_)wyman(_dot_)us>
Given the tremendous backlash against spam that we've seen lately, I
wouldn't be surprised if we began to see proposals requiring that
specific mechanisms be used to combat it. Just as new laws restricting
civil liberties have been "collateral damage" of the anti-terrorism
effort, new laws reducing the voluntary nature of Internet standards may
be "collateral damage" of the anti-spam effort.

Another possibility would be that as the spam problem matures (and,
assuming no silver bullet) what we're likely to see are lawsuits based
on what the courts will accept as unreasonable negligence causing
damage to another party.

I think a climate with that as a factor would motivate changes in
minimal standards pretty quickly.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*