Re: [Asrg] TitanKey and "white lies"... (..."improves" C/R utility?)

2003-06-01 21:07:09

On June 1, 2003 at 10:52 pontifier(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com (John Fenley) wrote:
This is in response to the entire thread, not any particular message.
One major problem I see with Titan Key is that it relies on SMTP. If at some
point SMTP is superceded by another protocol this type of system will no
longer be useful (Perhaps the idea would be useful, but not the actual
implementation.

This is the contrapositive of the "it would take too long for a
significant number of end-users/servers to adopt XYZ".

I think it's safe to say that SMTP will be in use for a long, long
time, particularly since there's absolutely nothing at this time even
on the horizon to replace it.

And my educated guess is that any evolution of SMTP will be
incremental and backwards compatible. Since SMTP is basically just
<VERB> <NOUN>* it's hard to see what brilliant insight would obsolete
it. The VERB part has already been co-opted to say from here on we're
doing a major extension of the protocol if it's ok with you (i.e.,
EHLO).

Put another way, to paraphrase the old joke about Fortran, I don't
know what people will be using to deliver email 20 years from now, but
they'll probably call it SMTP (and it'll probably be mostly backwards
compatible.)

But...I COULD BE WRONG.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*