RE: Short-term versus Long-term focus: A bit of economics ( was: RE: [Asrg] TitanKey and "white lies"... (..."improves" C/R utility?))

2003-06-02 16:47:02

Well, we could propose a simple, three-dimensional model for any spam
solution whose axes would be:

         1. Adoption (perhaps percentage of servers or clients.)
         2. Spam reduction (percentage of spam)
         3. Time (years or whatever.)

and try to judge the merit of a proposal on that basis.

Obviously one can't predict such a curve with any great accuracy but
at least we'd be estimating the same parameters for discussions' sake.

As an example, I think RMX would have a fairly steeply rising curve
over time for Adoption, particularly if # of servers was weighted by
the number of clients they represent (e.g., if AOL adopts it then
that's a big jump), and then adoption would probably slow down a lot
(i.e., early adopters adopt early and everyone else ignores it
mostly), and the (measurable) spam reduction would be small to zero
because I don't think it's a spam-reducer.

Others no doubt have another opinion, but if accepted this might be
some grounds for a common criteria.

I'll dub it the "Effectiveness Axes" or E-Axes for short.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*