Re: [Asrg] CRI Header

2003-06-05 14:30:08
At 03:09 PM 6/5/2003 -0400, Tony Hansen wrote:

Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
At 11:15 PM 6/4/2003 -0400, Eric D. Williams wrote:
Both an "X-CRI" and "CRI" headers should be defined. Until the standard gets approved, the "X-" headers will be used, once the standard is approved then both the "X-CRI" and "CRI" headers are used. This is similar to the HTTP protocol where both "gzip" and "x-gzip" are used to indicate gzip encoding (RFC 2616, section 3.5).

I disagree. When you write the internet-draft, ONLY specify the CRI header. X- headers should only be used for doing experiments before you write the internet-draft. As soon as you enter the ietf-space, stick to the real name. x-gzip was specified to handle backward compatibility because there was considerable history with its use prior to the RFCs being written. You don't have that problem here -- there is no history of previous uses of X-CRI that needs to be supported.

The question is what do we do during the standards process until the RFC is approved, do we use "X-" or the regular headers?

Yakov