Re: [Asrg] Another criteria for "what is spam"...

2003-06-07 15:28:24
--On Saturday, June 07, 2003 5:36 PM -0400 mathew <meta(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:

- It is from a source which it is hard or impossible for the
recipient to stop from sending further messages.

There are ~25,000,000 small businesses in the US alone. If 10% of them decided to send you one email per year, you would get 6,849 peices of mail a day. It would be hard or impossible to get those to stop.

- It is unsolicited commercial bulk e-mail from an organization the
recipient does not have any prior relationship with.

Define prior business relationship. If I have a store credit card with Company, Inc., and have never given them my email address for any reason, do they get to e-pend it from other sources, merely because they can? Yes, I have a business relationship with Company, Inc., but they were never granted permission to extend that relationship into an arena I have not chosen to invite them into, namely my inbox.

How about registering software or a waffle iron for waranty purposes? If I don't give them an email address, do they have a right to go find one, because we have a "business" relationship?

Is a bulk email for a survey or to preach to me about the Church of $diety or to ask for donations spam? It's not commercial.

Spam is not about content, it is about consent.

- It is bulk e-mail from an organization the recipient does have a
prior relationship with, but the subject matter of the e-mail is
outside the scope of subject matter about which the recipient
agreed to receive e-mail from the organization.

Define "agreed". The recipient and the sender often have varying definitions of "permission".

- It is bulk e-mail from a source the recipient has requested not
send him any further e-mail.

One free bite? No.

http://mail-abuse.org/standard.html

An electronic message is "spam" IF: (1) the recipient's personal identity and context are irrelevant because the message is equally applicable to many other potential recipients; AND (2) the recipient has not verifiably granted deliberate, explicit, and still-revocable permission for it to be sent; AND (3) the transmission and reception of the message appears to the recipient to give a disproportionate benefit to the sender.

DISCUSSION:

(i) Trivial or mechanised personalization such as "Dear Mr. Jones, we see that you are the holder of the JONES.COM domain" does not make the personal identity of the recipient relevant in any way.

(ii) Failing to click the "do not send me marketing literature by e-mail" button in a web sign-up form does not convey explicit permission. Only when the default result is "no followup e-mail" AND the inbox impact is clearly stated before any action which changes this result, can permission of this kind be conveyed.

(iii) The appearance of disproportionate benefit to the sender, and the relevancy of the recipient's specific personal identity, are authoritatively determined by the recipient, and is not subject to argument or reinterpretation by the sender.

(iv) Non-personal e-mail always places a disproportionate cost burden on the recipient, and is considered to disproportionately benefit the sender unless it was verifiably solicited or by the recipient's willing exception.

(v) A message need not be offensive or commercial in order to fit the definition of "spam." Content is irrelevent except to the extent necessary to determine personal applicability, consent, and benefit.