Re: [Asrg] Another criteria for "what is spam"...

2003-06-07 18:00:42
On Saturday, Jun 7, 2003, at 18:24 US/Eastern, Margie Arbon wrote:
--On Saturday, June 07, 2003 5:36 PM -0400 mathew <meta(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:
- It is from a source which it is hard or impossible for the
recipient to stop from sending further messages.

There are ~25,000,000 small businesses in the US alone. If 10% of them decided to send you one email per year, you would get 6,849 peices of mail a day. It would be hard or impossible to get those to stop.

You seem to be in agreement with me then, since I would consider small businesses each sending me one unsolicited marketing message per year as spam.

- It is unsolicited commercial bulk e-mail from an organization the
recipient does not have any prior relationship with.

Define prior business relationship.

It's up for debate. I'd start with something fairly tight, like I have to have given them the information. Remember, we're talking about sufficient, not necessary, conditions.

- It is bulk e-mail from an organization the recipient does have a
prior relationship with, but the subject matter of the e-mail is
outside the scope of subject matter about which the recipient
agreed to receive e-mail from the organization.

Define "agreed". The recipient and the sender often have varying definitions of "permission".

Again, I'd take the conservative route, and say that I must have explicitly stated that I agree to it.

- It is bulk e-mail from a source the recipient has requested not
send him any further e-mail.

One free bite? No.

You seem not to understand the concept of "sufficient but not necessary". I am defining that if I've asked not to get e-mail and I still get it, it's spam. I'm NOT saying that if I haven't asked not to get e-mail, it's not spam.

mathew