Re: [Asrg] New proposal for spam blocking: Greylisting

2003-06-20 11:31:39
Yakov,

YS> Lets say to fight this spammer trick email hosts will now reject messages
YS> after 2 times, then the spammers adjusting and sending 3M messages, now
YS> reject value stands at 3 times, spammers send 4M messages, ad infinitum.
YS> This would increase costs of sending email since it would have to be stored
YS> longed and retried longer. HOWEVER, at a certain point (number of rejects),
YS> spamming will become too costly although I think that reject point is very
YS> large.

as well as the cost to those sending legitimate mail, as well as the
cost to the receiving sites to process these rejected postings.

so, large-scale use of this facility will do an excellent job of
providing a deprivation of service attack.  unfortunately, the attack
will be experienced by everyone, not just the bad guys.

YS> This is basically an economic approach - you are increasing the cost of
YS> each sent message by forcing the sender

blunt instrument.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>