Re: [Asrg] New proposal for spam blocking: Greylisting

2003-06-20 11:48:41

If all of AOL's peers used your system, a lot of AOL's mail would
start spending 10s or 100s of minutes instead of seconds in AOLs queue.

Excellent.  Then AOL will make damn sure that what it sends is not spam.

Seriously, after initial learning, the amount of legitimate mail that
results in a temporary block is pretty small.  How often do you get mail
from someone you've never had contact with versus how much mail do you get
from established relationships?

Speaking for myself and the users on the test systems, that ratio is pretty
small.

transaction are burned by the end of the Rcpt_TO command.  Contrary
to common naive calculations, the 6 packets and 3 or 4 round trips of
the DATA command are often the tail of the dog.

I did it by packets because that was the easiest, and definitly does impact
people with less than ample connections.  Show me a way to measure the other
qualities on a significant scale, and I'll be happy to attempt to.

I'm not talking about the costs for the recipients running your system
but for the senders.

Admittedly, there is some amount of penalty to senders of email.  But isn't
that the point?  The whole problem of spam stems from the fact that sending
it is abysmally cheap.  And the penalty will be larger for spammers since
they generally don't stick around to establish relationships.

I think this method of "increasing the cost" of emailing is a lot better
than other suggested methods of doing so, an increasing the cost is the only
way we will stop spam.  As long as it remains profitable, it will continue
to be a problem.

So let them be handled by blacklists.  In either case, the fact that they
are trying to be legit means they are easily blocked since the headers
should not be forged. ...

Blacklists do not work for "mainsleaze" because a significant part
and usually most of those spews is not spam because it is wanted by
its targets.

Then I guess I don't see the problem.  If the mail is wanted, why should I
be trying to block it?

Evan