Re: [Asrg] New proposal for spam blocking: Greylisting

2003-06-20 09:22:31

You mention Exim and sender callback verification, it's probably
worth pointing out that this isn't default behaviour and the Exim docs
suggest that:
"This facility should be used with care, because it adds a lot of resource
usage to the cost of verifying an address."
Exim also provides a "callout_defer_ok" options to allow success in the
face of a temporary failure.

Well, all I know is that sourceforge bit me with this, which is why I made
that modification.  Since my main target for using this is techie types, not
good to have problems with sourceforge.  :)

Whatever... any spam that *is* retried after the "block" is aged gets
through. Or have I got that wrong?

Yes, unless it is blocked by other means, like dns blacklists or normal
spam catching methods.

But letting the block age requires spammers stick to an IP address, which
makes the dns blacklists work better.  Still results in farily good success.

Evan