Re: [Asrg] New proposal for spam blocking: Greylisting

2003-06-20 10:45:34
At 10:29 AM 6/20/03 -0500, Evan Harris wrote:

Over the past few months, I've been working on a new method of blocking spam
that I've termed "Greylisting".  From my testing it appears to be over 97%
effective.

It requires no changes to the infrastructure, is resistant to spammer
adaptation, and is very effective, yet very lightweight.

The paper outlining the method is at
http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/ and I have also posted an example
implementation for a Sendmail Milter written in perl.

Please look it over and try to poke holes in it, but I've worked pretty hard
to make it as bulletproof as possible.

My summary of the greylisting;
 Tempfail all new (IP+sender+recipient) triplets.

I only made one pass through the paper, but it looks pretty good to me.
97% feels high for this technique, but it's looks clean enough and
safe enough that I'll run some tests on my own and see if I get similar
numbers.

Scott Nelson <scott(_at_)spamwolf(_dot_)com>