Re: [Asrg] New proposal for spam blocking: Greylisting

2003-06-20 12:01:17
From: Evan Harris <eharris(_at_)puremagic(_dot_)com>

I'm not talking about the costs for the recipients running your system
but for the senders.

Admittedly, there is some amount of penalty to senders of email.  But isn't
that the point?  ...

No, the point is to penalize senders of spam while doing minimal harm.

So let them be handled by blacklists.  In either case, the fact that they
are trying to be legit means they are easily blocked since the headers
should not be forged. ...

Blacklists do not work for "mainsleaze" because a significant part
and usually most of those spews is not spam because it is wanted by
its targets.

Then I guess I don't see the problem.  If the mail is wanted, why should I
be trying to block it?

Private blacklists are not practical for any except crazy users
to maintain.  As proof, consider the 7000 entries in
http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/spammers.html
Those are all justified by spam sent toward mailboxes @rhyolite.com
or various spam traps.

System wide blacklists don't work.  For example, dell.com is in my
blacklist for good, sufficient, and continuing reasons, but I'm sure some
of their targets want those "newsletter."  A system-wide blacklist of
dell.com is unworkable except at trivially tiny domains like rhyolite.com