Re: [Asrg] Introduction and another idea

2003-06-22 08:02:36
On Saturday, Jun 21, 2003, at 13:46 US/Eastern, Vernon Schryver wrote:
The current practice of bloating mail by 10X encoding with a text/plain version and a visibly identical text/html version is nasty, bad, and incompetent.

Yes, but it's also totally outside the purview of the ASRG, unless you think it is in some way an important enabler of spam.

I wholeheartedly agree that unnecessary use of HTML in e-mail is stupid. I completely concur that HTML e-mail is generally a waste of bandwidth. However, as far as I can see these arguments over how technically awful HTML e-mail is are irrelevant to this list, because it's not going away and even if it did spam would just go back to being plain text.

(In fact, all the spam that's made it through my filters this week has been plain text.)

mathew