Re: [Asrg] Grouped reply on permissions lists

2003-06-22 07:51:59
On Friday, Jun 20, 2003, at 18:21 US/Eastern, gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com
wrote:
I'm just offering a modest proposal... that
unsolicited, first-contact E-mail be restricted BY DEFAULT from containing HTML, attachments, and encoding... and that those restrictions can be subsequently
lifted by the recipients for senders of their choice.  Control, cost
containment, choice, and responsibility.

Well, you've proposed it, and you're free to go on proposing it. But it seems to me that the consensus on this list is that your proposal won't work outside of a few fairly narrow social circles.

Also, your proposal does not need any changes to be made for it to be implemented today. Anyone who wishes to do so can block HTML e-mail. Most mail clients with reasonable filtering facilities can block HTML e-mail from unknown senders. If you feel it's a technique that deserves more popularity, I suggest you write some user-friendly software to implement it for users who wish to do so.

The same goes for file attachments. In fact, I got so sick of being sent Windows viruses and worms that I already block all file attachments that might possibly contain Windows-executable content, including HTML attachments, Office documents and PIF files. I do this not because those things are any danger to my system, but because they're a 100% indicator of spam *for me*. However, I have no illusions that recommending that Office documents be bounced would *ever* be an acceptable solution for the Internet in general.

So to summarize: You have an idea, people are already doing it, for some people it works well, for most people it doesn't, it needs no changes in any software anywhere, it has zero chance of being an acceptable recommendation for the Internet in general, and even if we did recommend it users wouldn't obey the recommendation any more than they obey the RFCs when quoting URLs.

So I conclude that there's really not much to discuss. So let's just stop, OK?

mathew