Re: [Asrg] Grouped reply on permissions lists

2003-06-20 16:02:35
On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Yakov Shafranovich <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com>
wrote:
At 03:00 PM 6/20/2003 -0500, gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:

However, you would cut down you spam load significantly if you rejected
all mail with "Content-type: text/html" SMTP or MIME entity headers
from strangers.

How can you have it both ways? You either receive email from strangers
or you don't.

The point is BY DEFAULT to reject unsolicited HTML-burdened E-mail, or
mail from untrusted/unknown senders that contains attachments.  By so
doing, you will shrink spam byte volume by probably 90% or more.  You'll
also eliminate in one fell swoop the GREAT majority of viruses, worms, and
trojans.

Plain ASCII text will continue to be delivered as before.
[..]

My main problem with this and similar proposals is that they assume that a
consent system is in place that lets users authorize certain people to send
them email. The problem is that no such system exists and the goal of this
group is to make such system (see charter). Instead of bickering over a
specific filtering case, perhaps we should consider the larger question of
consent systems and how users can express such consent.

The whole point is that THIS DOESN'T REQUIRE consensus agreement.  It can be
implemented by a single ISP using technology of their choice.

We could discuss suggested 'best practices' and such, although this sort of
thing (if designed well) is the sort of thing which will differentiate one
ISP's
services from a competitor.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.