Re: [Asrg] Grouped reply on permissions lists

2003-06-20 13:10:30
At 03:00 PM 6/20/2003 -0500, gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:

>> However, you would cut down you spam load significantly if you rejected
> all mail with "Content-type: text/html" SMTP or MIME entity headers
> from strangers.

> How can you have it both ways? You either receive email from strangers
or you don't.

The point is BY DEFAULT to reject unsolicited HTML-burdened E-mail, or mail from untrusted/unknown senders that contains attachments. By so doing, you will shrink spam byte volume by probably 90% or more. You'll also eliminate in one fell swoop the GREAT majority of viruses, worms, and trojans.

Plain ASCII text will continue to be delivered as before.
[..]

My main problem with this and similar proposals is that they assume that a consent system is in place that lets users authorize certain people to send them email. The problem is that no such system exists and the goal of this group is to make such system (see charter). Instead of bickering over a specific filtering case, perhaps we should consider the larger question of consent systems and how users can express such consent.

The CRI protocol is an example of such consent system where a standards-based system is proposed to allows users and receivers verify each other's identify. Another example is this mailing list - you must be subsribed to the list in order to post - meaning that consent of the list administrator is required. More examples and an overall system is needed for consent-based communications.

There is also a need to coordinate various spam approaches. For example filtering HTML burdened email when combined with C/R or trusted sender (e.g. Habeas), needs to behave differently than plain HTML filtering.

The last point is that HTML filtering is not a "silver bullet", it is merely a filtering technique. Someone on the list should be gathering these techniques together into one document.

Yakov