Re: [Asrg] Grouped reply on permissions lists

2003-06-20 13:53:30
At 04:47 PM 6/20/2003 -0400, Kee Hinckley wrote:

Could we please cancel this thread (and not cc it to
wishlist(_at_)microsoft(_dot_)com).

People use formatted email. Whether they need, or want to is besides the point. They do. No amount of talking is going to set back the clock to the days of the ascii internet. Let's talk about things that can actually be changed, not fantasies where clueless "lusers" don't understand the damage they are doing by sending graphical smiley faces to their Aunt Lucy, but would happily change their behavior and start typing in compressed hacker speak if it were just nicely explained to them. While we're at it--let's explain to them why they shouldn't litter either--that should be even easier.

And seriously. Even if you believe that blocking HTML is feasible. It isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference in the amount of spam that gets sent. Spammers do their best to make their email look like real email to the end user. If the end user gets email as plain text, then spammers will send plain text. This isn't rocket science--it's basic economics.

At that point, Gordon falls back on the argument that at least we will have saved in the number of *bytes* sent. Which is true. But saving bytes is not the charter of this group.
--

Thank you Kee, I second that thought. Can we move on to bigger and better things?