Re: [Asrg] Grouped reply on permissions lists

2003-06-22 19:12:38
At 02:22 AM 6/22/2003 -0500, gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:

>>You have mentioned before that even if only ASCII spam is being delivered
>that will reduce the overall bandwidth consumer. HOWEVER, that will not
>reduce the total number of spam items in someone's inbox.

First, people's inbox capacity is never (in my experience) limited by number of
messages... always by number of megabytes.

End users care much more about the number of messages they have to delete, than number of megabytes the inbox takes especially in the age of large hard drives and broadband connections.

Second, if spammers are unable to pull a lot of the tricks and deceptions that
they do at present, I believe that a lot of spam that presently "works"
economically will no longer be viable.

Agreed but the very nature of spam has nothing to do with HTML tricks - it has to do with "how spammers amplify their distribution channels while keeping costs nearly at zero" in Barry Shain's words.

I think that we had plenty of arguments both ways, and both camps are staying were they are. I would suggest that either you or someone else, write up a BCP or RFC, plus create some working code and get back to the group. Not that I am advocating the banning of HTML, but there are plenty of people that are and it is important to get stuff past theory into practical useable code.

Yakov