Re: [Asrg] 6. Solutions - Replacing SMTP - GIEIS Analysis

2003-07-06 11:57:31
My responses are in the body of the message below.

Version 0.005 - Updated 6th July 2003

GIEIS - Global ISP Email Identity System - The Ultimate Anti-Spam System
a.k.a. - The Digital Reaper

\xA9 Including intellectual copyright, Mark McCarron 2003, All rights reserved.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/giza.necropolis

Mark McCarron.

From: "John Fenley" <pontifier(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>
To: markmccarron_itt(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com, asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] 6. Solutions - Replacing SMTP - GIEIS Analysis
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 11:15:54 -0600

From: "Mark McCarron" <markmccarron_itt(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:06:31 +0000
From: "Mark McCarron" <markmccarron_itt(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:06:31 +0000

No, you could barely grasp it a few posts ago. In fact, I have corrected you enough times on the matter. I would be happy to let this group discuss all the proposals it wants to provided they are legitimate proposals. Most of the 'technical posts' have contained either nonsense or things that can be bypassed. Other than 'GIEIS', there are no proposals even worth considering as EVERYTHING else can be bypassed. I am not here just to inform you of 'GIEIS' but to point out the fact that it can't be solved in any other fashion. Please post your solutions and I will demonstrate this for EVERY single one.

Firstly, you do not "let" this list do anything. You are not the moderator.
(Note to Moderator: Where are you?)

Mark's Response:

Please keep that in mind the next time you ask me to setup a separate mailing list.:)

Secondly, You say that every other system can be bypassed. Please provide a comprehensive proof that all models that prevent spam and are not able to be bypassed must eventually arrive at the “GIEIS” system.

Mark's Response:

Post your solutions then!!  I'll completely prove it everytime.

I would be interested to see a formal proof of this, though I doubt one is possible with todays limited understanding of social dynamics.

Thirdly, please deliver on your promise to analyze all solutions posted to this list. Please find a flaw in Choicelist for me ok?

Mark's Response:

Show me and I will.

Lastly, For the whole group: This blather with Mark McCarron gives me another Idea for Choicelist.

Off topic posters to mailing lists or news groups could be “voted off” of lists by subscribers. These people who are voted off, would not be able to switch email addresses so easily. As the Identity would be blacklisted, not the address. This imposes a high cost to flame.

Mark's Response:

Is that to protect the interests of those businesses posting nonsense here?

More info on the complaint system:
Because Choicelist provides an authentication framework, security is up to the sender, and proof is automatically checked at the time of complaint, only valid complaints can be made. The complainer must have actually received a message from you in order to complain (or you didn’t specify an authentication mechanism, or they broke your encryption). This limits the scope of false complaints.

Mark's Response:

I can see the holes already.

So at the least, Mr McCarron would have had to buy 4(approximate and rising) more Ids (or use 4 he already had sitting around). At the most, he would have to wait 3 months to get a new Id sent to them via postal mail before flooding this list again. Though I doubt it is possible to stop a truly dedicated Flamer with anything short of a true identity linked to the person permanently that would be required to post to lists(or a moderator who reviews posts and prevents this sort activity).

Mark's Response:

What sort of activity would that be??  Systems that work perhaps??

So Choicelist may have flame retardant properties though I doubt it is flame proof.

Mark's Response:

So, it isn't as good as 'GIEIS' then.  I only annoy you because I am right.

I hope that I am not as annoying as Mark, as it seem both of us are promoting a system which we feel is a solution to the whole problem.

Mark's Response:

Let me see this 'Choicelist', I love punching holes in software.

Mark McCarron.