Re: [Asrg] 3. Requirements - Non Spam must go through

2003-07-08 08:01:09
  "Any spam fighting system must be designed so as to allow the
desires of the recipients to be implemented.  No spam fighting system
should be designed so as to throw away any non-spam email as part of
its measures, unless the recipient of that email specifically
instructs the system to do so."

Perhaps the EFF's philosophy has something to do with the ideal of e-mail as
freedom of speech.

In this case I'd suggest the same common-sense philosophy as for regular
speech. You (or your company) have the right to say whatever you like. I have
the right to ignore you, should I choose to do so.

From the point of view of the people wanting me to hear them, well that's
tough. If I don't want to hear them, they have no right to force me to do so.
We hear a lot of talk about rights these days and very little about the
responsibilities that go hand in hand with rights.

You may well feel you have a right to send e-mail to me but if you use that
right irresponsibly, then I have the right to ignore you in future.

From a common-sense point of view, if I stick my fingers in my ears when I see
a particular (unwanted) person approach my desk, I might well miss some useful
or even important information - maybe a colleague asking if I'd like a cup of
coffee, for example, or in the extreme case somebody telling me there's a fire
and that I need to leave the building.

It's my choice to block my ears and any reasonable person could understand that
they might miss out on something if they do the same.

... 8< ...

  I don't find that acceptable.  I would rather enforce consent than
embrace philosophical ideals.  Any anti-spam system must be designed
to enforce consent, and not ideals.

Agreed.   This is a philosophical ideal; the real world does not
operate in a boolean, white-and-black mode; there are always grey areas
and compromises.

Indeed. There has to be a recognition that everyone in the delivery chain of e-
mail has rights and responsibilities. Whatever solution is devised will
inevitably involve compromise.

This doesn't mean rights aren't important, but that simply that a balance must
be struck.

Andrew