Re: [Asrg] 3. Requirements - Non Spam must go through

2003-07-09 10:53:07
"Jon Kyme" <jrk(_at_)merseymail(_dot_)com> wrote:
I'm still surprised that you manage to conserve much in the way
of resources by accepting these connections and blackholing the messages.

  The number of TCP SYNs go down when there's no firewall whitelist,
but the total bandwidth used doesn't change by much.

What happens if the messages are rejected hard during the
transaction - are they still retried?

  Yes.

  For some reason, spammers don't appear to be following the SMTP
"best practices" documents.

What do the figures look like? If you don't mind me asking.

  Millions of TCP SYNs per day, with a firewall whitelist.

  When all connections are accepted & email to non-user accounts
silently discarded, 500K+ messages per day.  When taken against
"real" email to me at the domain, the traffic is more than 99.9% spam.

  And it's been going up by a factor of at least 2, every year, for
about as long as I've had the domain.  This is the future of email for
everyone.

  Alan DeKok.