Re: [Asrg] 0. General - Administrative - for M. Wild

2003-08-30 01:00:37
Until we require both rDNS -AND- add another DNS identifier declaring the
sending MTA as an MTA, we will continue to see trojan software masquerading
as MTAs.  While it may be a slow, painful process, I don't see any good
alternatives (at least not in our environment).  We continue to employ
rDNS checking, adding more networks to the mix all the time.  The key to
implementing rDNS for us has been:

 1) It is not done for all IP addresses, but rather on a per-netblock basis
    (with the count of addresses having this requirement increasing each day)

 2) Users can opt-out of this requirement (the blocking occurs after
    RCPT TO processing)

 3) Even with the blocking in place, we return a URL to the sender to
    allow them to request a block exception from our user who can then
    either grant, deny, or ignore the request