Re: [Asrg] 0. General - Administrative - for M. Wild

2003-08-29 23:46:48
I'm new to this mailing list so I don't know all that has been discussed. So
please excused any ignorance I may show.

I agree with Steven.

In my view,  I believe ultimately the "mail server" concept will need to be
part of some official "registry" system.    Whether that's going be done at
the HELO/EHLO state,  one way or another,  the system can not simply to
continue to work using the "honor" system and accept open-ended unauthorized
transactions.

At the same time, I don't think that is the complete solution either.

Before I go further, I would like to note that the cards may be already been
dealt for us.  With more of the larger ISPs controlling access and limited
who can connect via HELO/EHLO and the peer IP,  the developers, such as
myself, will follow their lead.    So their actions may pre-empt any work
done here.  Nonetheless, I am hoping to be part of any new specification
process and make sure I get my technical expertise and opinions heard.

In my view, we need a stronger handshake between the server and the client.

One way to accomplish this is using a "challenge string" as part of the
welcome.

        250 domain, [vendor, version] [challenge string]

The compliant client will then use the challenge string as part of the EHLO
command.  It can be a simple echo:

        EHLO clienthosthame [challenge string]

At the very least, this will tell the server that the client is compliant
and ready for new commands that are engineered to complete an authorized
mail transaction.

or we can have a new command such MAILER that says:

        MAILER clienthost [vendor, version]  [challenge string]

regardless,  we need to make this stronger and while we are at it,  we use
the opportunity to enhance SMTP state machine.

Even if we consider to make stronger use of rDNS on the HELO/EHLO,  we need
to make it strong enough to suggest that not everyone can just setup a mail
server to send mail.   The larger ISPs are forcing the issue for us in this
regard

----

Hector Santos
WINSERVER "Wildcat! Interactive Net Server"
http://www.santronics.com