Re: [Asrg] 0. General - Administrative - for M. Wild

2003-08-30 19:35:17
At 7:46 PM -0400 2003/08/30, Richard Rognlie wrote:

 My measure has nothing to do with email addresses.  Only the HELO/EHLO
 argument.   I'm asking that if you are not going to conform to the
 standards of the net, please relay your mail through a host that does
 and does not mind you not doing so (use your local ISP's mail server
 as a smart host)

Right, but if lots of people use RMX-type solutions, then my ISPs mail server is almost certainly not going to be on the list of "approved" sending mail relays for most of those domains. So, I have to use different mail relays, one for each domain that I send e-mail from. Moreover, each of those has to be configured with SMTPAUTH, TLSSMTP, POP-before-SMTP, or whatever.

And all of that still breaks with /etc/alias-based mailing lists and .forwards (or alias-based forwarding).

        How many people have the knowledge and skills necessary to do
 this sort of thing?

 True.  I'm a bit of a sendmail snob, but that's mostly because I can
 beat it into submission (regardless of what that stupidity I need to
 make it do... can you say "99 bottles of beer" in .cf?   I can... 8^)

I've been a bit of a sendmail snob since ~'91-'92, when I was forced to learn it based on the only published material available at the time, which was a single chapter in Craig Hunt's book _TCP/IP Network Administration_. I've been a fan of postfix since early '98, back when Wietse was still calling it VMailer.

But I still see serious problems with recommending this type of solution to anyone outside that rarified type of atmosphere. If you haven't written your own sendmail.cf or your own anti-spam m4 macros and submitted them to Eric/Greg/John (back before Klaus was on the scene), what are your odds?

 So, the mail fails over to my backup MS host...  And I'm seeing a
 LOT more mail coming from him that I used to.

Lots of spammers don't bother trying to send directly to the primary MX. They automatically assume that many sites will do what you have done, where you protect the primary MX more than you do any of your others, and will automatically contact them first.

This is a trick they were using back in '95-97, when I was hip-deep in this stuff at AOL.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad(_dot_)knowles(_at_)skynet(_dot_)be>