Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - RMX I Never send mail

2003-09-25 13:51:46
I would like to make some comments in the RMX and DNSRBL areas in general.

First of all, as someone else pointed out two days ago in the list, there are several competing proposals for DNS-based verification (RMX, DRIP, etc.). We need someone who has knowledge in this area to figure out how to reconcile these proposals.

Second, we also need to sit down and evaluate how RMX and DNSRBLS affect existing systems, and how viable are they. The tech consideridations document and requirements document would help here, and the tech considerations document actually has a checklist. We also need to figure out how this fits in within the consent framework, if we are going with proceed with the notion of consent.

Third, the issue with DDOS and DNSRBLs has relevance in the BCP area from both the side of the operator of the blacklist and the customers of the blacklist. For example, we need guidelines on how an anti-spam system should deal with a DNSRBL that has been DDOSed or has gone beserk (like Osirusoft has down recently). While technical issues are important, we also need to deal with some policy issues. I think that some of the folks involved with both DNSRBLs and DNS can give invaluable input on the policy side. BTW, Chris Lewis and Matt Sergeant have been doing some work on the BCP area, and a draft should be forthcoming soon.

Yakov