Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - RMX I Never send mail

2003-09-25 16:52:29
On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 08:13:32AM -0700, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote

      For example 18.2.1.xx might have a DNS record of one of the
following forms

              TXT             <ASRG><TYPE>DIALUP</TYPE></ASRG>
              POLICY  DIALUP

      Where POLICY would be a new record written for the purpose (usual
caveats apply). The usual caveats about using the DNS would also apply, risk
of spoofing etc. However I think that if those are really an issue we just
go fix DNS.

      I would see the following as useful identifiers:

              SERVER          A full service IP address
              DIALUP          The address is allocated to a dialup modem
pool
              RESIDENTIAL             The address is allocated to
residential broadband
              BLOCKED         The address is blocked, you should never
connect
              UNALLOCATED             The address has not been allocated

      It might be useful to make this a bit more complex so as to allow
specific protocols to be identified, but I think that is best done through
the forward DNS.

  Wouldn't it be simpler all around for plain, simple, rDNS to return
xx.1.2.18.residential.bad.example.com ?  Parse the rDNS name rather than
a TXT record.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Email users are divided into two classes;