Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - RMX I Never send mail

2003-09-26 10:34:47
Markus Stumpf wrote:

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 01:08:44PM -0400, Chris Lewis wrote:

1) What's to prevent the DDOS attackers from DDOS'ing the DNS servers serving up the ranges they're spamming from? I sense yet another business opportunity for the DDOSers - "pay us to blow the brains out of your ISP's DNS servers!"

What do they gain?
If the defaults are correctly adjusted, none of the emails will go
through, because no answer = don't accept.

Anything that defaults to "email blocked if DNS doesn't give me an answer" is, um, way too dangerous.

Ie: You could kill my inbound and outbound mail altogether by DDOS'ing _my_ DNS servers. Ouch.

Even in the impossible event that _everyone_ complied with such a standard, having your email abruptly stop working altogether if your DNS fails is not something I want to propose to the PTBs.

Thus, it would have to default to "let it through", and DDOS'ing the ISP's (or recipient's) DNS servers will be too attractive an idea to pass up.

We either have to come up with a proposal to make the feature DDOS-proof, _or_, find some way to stop DDOS's in general (technically or bomb-from-orbit). I think stopping DDOS's is a vastly preferable approach than bandaiding individual protocols.