Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - RMX I Never send mail

2003-09-26 13:33:33
On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 02:51:34PM -0500, Steven F Siirila wrote:
in some manner (e.g. DNS).  Allowing IP block owners to set up these
attributes is a key difference from what we have today (DNSbls) which is
pretty centralized and more error-prone.

Although the bad guys will set "MTA=yes" for their hosts (which is in
some way correct behaviour ;-) we have moved them tighter to the corner
and DNSBLs can more easily deal with them. They don't any longer have to
take care of the whole IP address range (which is even worse with IPv6)
but only with a small dark place in the corner.

    1.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa.  IN  TXT  "ASRG.MTA=yes"
                        IN  TXT
"ASRG.CONTACT=mailto:abuse(_at_)example(_dot_)com"
    2.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa.  IN  TXT  "ASRG.MTA=yes"
    *.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa.  IN  TXT  "ASRG.MTA=no"

I agree that we need to use an existing DNS RR to provide this information,
but I also believe that we should define a new RR to be used in preference
to this method for the long-term.  Perhaps an "MTA" RR.  TXT records are too
general-purpose to be used long-term, IMO.

IMHO the problem with a new RR (and that's why I tried to avoid it) is
that DNS software of all kinds has to be adopted. DNS server, DNS
resolvers and (IMHO the stronges argument against) ISP management
software. (Large) ISPs don't edit zone files with an editor. They have a
database and a GUI of some sort that is capable handling all sorts of
"well known" RRs.
I had quick and easy adoption mind and if all ISP management software
has to be changed to make use of the new RR it will either take a long
time or will never happen. TXT records are well understood and there is

   Rosenbaum, R., "Using the Domain Name System To Store Arbitrary
   String Attributes", RFC 1464, May 1993.

;-))

There are a number of ways that this could be implemented; given the
amount of open-source software out there, a patch could easily be made.

Surely ... and not really an issue.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299