RE: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - CRI Draft - 4.1 Loop Avoidance

2003-10-01 17:31:31
If we start adding various messaging such as with DSNs...I don't think
that we should be hijacking a sender's email address to carry various
protocol information.

Of course, that's just my opinion and why it's merely a recommendation
rather than a must, shall...

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]
On Behalf Of
Peter
Kay
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 12:08 PM
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - CRI Draft - 4.1 Loop Avoidance

I finally had a chance to come up for air to respond to Eric/Yakov's
draft
at http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-asrg-cri-00.txt  .
ASRG owes you much for your hard work in creating this document and I
personally thank you for furthering an important area of
interoperability.

On loop avoidance section, specifically:

"For CRI systems that issue challenge messages, it is also recommended
that each CRI system use a local systemwide user, such as
cri(_at_)foo(_dot_)com,
for issuing challenges rather than preserving the original sender's
email address as the sender of the challenge message."

We disgree.

Most CR systems automatically/dynamically add the recipient to the
sender's whitelist.  So if I send an email to eric(_at_)cri(_dot_)com, he's
automatically added to my whitelist.  If the mail-from on his
challenge
is eric(_at_)cri(_dot_)com, his email comes straight to my inbox without
delays
or
filters and certainly won't get challenged.  If the mail-from on his
challenge is "challenger(_at_)cri(_dot_)com", the CRI protocol needs to be
invoked,
possibly creating unecessary overhead.

Keeping the mail-from consistent allows CRI systems to naturally
interoperate and assuming that the CR system adds recipients to the
whitelist, elegantly solves the problem of CR systems challenging
other
challenges.

Peter