[Asrg] Technical solutions will not be sufficient

2003-10-08 22:01:37

Hello, Group.

It has recently been demonstrated to me that dealing with spam will require
legal solutions along with technical solutions.

I received an email to the address I use only for this mailing list. I do
not have a prior relationship with the company that sent me the email (or on
whose behalf it was sent).

In the following process, I had failed to notice that the spam I received
was from ecardica.com, not ecardia.net .  :-(

However, I believe the results are, nonetheless, instructive to the member
of this mailing list.

I looked up the domain listed in the email (remember, I thought it was
ecardia.com) and found the following:
============================
Registrant:
HERSKOWITZ, AHVIE (ECARDIA-DOM)
   2058- 12th Avenue
   SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94116
   US

   Domain Name: ECARDIA.NET

   Administrative Contact:
      HERSKOWITZ, AHVIE  (AH9902)  aherskowitz(_at_)oneworldhealth(_dot_)org
      2058- 12th Avenue
      SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94116
      US
      415 759 8150 fax: 415 759 8164

   Technical Contact:
      Network Solutions, Inc.  (HOST-ORG)
customerservice(_at_)networksolutions(_dot_)com
      21355 Ridgetop Circle
      Dulles, VA 20166
      US
      1-888-642-9675 fax: 571-434-4620

   Record expires on 22-Jun-2004.
   Record created on 23-Jun-1999.

   Database last updated on 6-Oct-2003 16:24:19 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS8.WORLDNIC.COM             216.168.225.138
   NS7.WORLDNIC.COM             216.168.225.137
=============================
(Again, ecardia.net was not the spammer. It was ecardica.com .)

Since ecardia.com lists Network Solutions as the technical contact, and
Network Solutions is such a fine, upstanding organization, I thought I would
complain to them.

So I sent the following email to:
customerservice(_at_)networksolutions(_dot_)com
---
Subject: spam

Your customer sent me spam and then claims,

" We hate S'pam too! That is why eCardica.com follows and enforces very
strict No S'pam and Privacy Policies. We only send to users who have agreed
to receive messages about our services, our partner's services, or both."

They sent this spam to an email address that I only use for the ASRG spam
mailing list.

Please cancel their account unless you want to be labeled as being
spammer-friendly.

Regards,

JM

This is the reply I received from Marvin003, Network Solutions' best (and
probably most honest) representative:

Dear JM,

Thank you for contacting Network Solutions.

If the domain owner in question is conducting criminal activity we would ask
you to defer to either the police or the proper authorities.

Best regards,

Marvin003
Network Solutions, Inc.
http://www.networksolutions.com

Although I directed my complaint to the wrong party, the reply from Network
Solutions says that they are part of the problem.

And since they are *not* part of the solution their continued use of the
name "Network Solutions" is misleading, if not fraudulent.

There are laws about that.

JM