RE: [Asrg] Re: 6. Proposals - Pull System (revisited)

2003-11-30 17:35:50
Chris said...

At least one benefit of a pull system is that the sender can't be dummied
even by a trojan. it may take over the the resources but incoming bounces
"message denied" etc.. will make it abundantly clear to the user that his
machine has been trojaned.

and Chris responded

A smart trojan of course would handle incoming mail and dispose of the
telltale signs.

And this is an example of how we fight a losing battle....

Not that I say give up. heck no.

but the solution is not ours alone

all areas of the internet must be tightened to minimise the impact of such
attacks.

Most (not all) spammers are laymen, they rely on other peoples software to
do the job for them.

If anyone think spammers will move en masse to trojan systems to continue
their habit I believe they are sadly mistaken.

They spam currently because they can. but if it means becoming technically
savy, and deliberately hacking into other peoples machines. I doubt many
will follow this path.

And how many trojan writers will advertise their wares on a commercial
basis?

Some I am sure. but not enough to return the Internet to the bad old days
err... today!

Regards
Chris