Re: [Asrg] Re: 6. Proposals - Pull System (revisited)

2003-11-30 10:01:33
"Dag Kihlman" <dag(_dot_)kihlman(_at_)htu(_dot_)se> wrote:
Why on earth should computers with dynamic IP addresses be allowed to host
mail in a pull system???

  Ah.  You're not just advocating a pull system, you're advocating a
bunch of other changes to messaging deployment and use.  That makes it
significantly harder to convince anyone to use any new system.

  For the record, minor changes to SMTP deployment can also deny
messages which come from a dynamic IP.  See DUL lists.  There's no
need for a pull system to implement such restrictions.

  I'd advise you to take your list of restrictions, and see how they
can be applied to SMTP, before advocating a pull system.  You'll
probably see that a pull system isn't necessary.

Your suggestion makes mine and tens of thousands similar cable modem
machines honey pots for spammers. With my suggestion they are
uninteresting.

  Huh?  I suggested no such thing.  And I don't see how the recipient
can tell that the message is from a machine with a dynamic IP, unless
it's told somehow.  That information can then also be applied to SMTP,
making a pull system irrelevant.

If I want to install a pull server I ought to subscribe to a static IP
address and pay some fee for having the ports opened. (The market will make
this fee reasonable)

  Ah... so you're not advocating a technical change, then.  You're
advocating some kind of social/legal solution, and you see technical
changes as the best way of making that social/legal solution more
applicable to the real world.

  Alan DeKok.