RE: [Asrg] Re: 6. Proposals - Pull System (revisited)

2003-11-29 21:43:18

I like Chris idea about class system and his argument that spam cannot be
defined. However that argument should not be stretched to far.
Most of us do throw away the same kind of mails.

(blush)

I would argue here that the vast majority of that thrown away e-mail was
from a forged source
so *pull* would throw it automatically for you.

And it would never get onto the network.

For short e-mails that is an insignificant saving, but a lot of e-mails tend
to have attachments, inlined images, html, virii etc. etc.

the bandwidth savings could be enormous.

The mail client is equipped with a classification system allowing
me to automatically delete any notifications I do not want.
Chris suggestion looks difficult for an average user but I would implement
it as
check boxes
in a mail client making it very easy to use:

my rules example was purely that. an example. writing a complex set of rules
could be difficult even for experts

with a class system whole swathes of mail could be affected by one rule!

The most intuitive method of enabling those rules is a selection box system
so a person can "drill down" to a particular inclusion/exclusion.

It would also not necessarily be on the clients machine (mail client) doing
such requires that the client be aware of the class system.
I prefer if we don't try and force people to upgrade their client software
this will generate a lot of resistance
especially if it costs. which of course it will for many.

The class system would be implemented at the host server (receiver) and
could be accessed by a web page for personalisation.

That is not to say that client software could not log on, authenticate
itself and provide a better way of doing so.

from Florida and they are spam however interested I am in sewing machines
in
Sweden. That is why a classification system is not sufficient.

good point. but that does not break a class system

another class would be global, country specific, region specific etc..

the server could easily drop such mail with a fail code if its region was
not the correct one

There was a burst of spam some time ago from dentists, I am in Australia and
they were in the US.

What good to me is a dentist in the US?
(how much did that mailout cost them ?. I assume some scamster* had sold it
to them)

Regards
Chris

* a scamster is like a hamster but more like a rat and closer to the ground
;)