RE: [Asrg] Re: 6. Proposals - Pull System (revisited)

2003-11-29 19:00:28

I do apologise. my reply was curt and could have been mistaken as personal.
it was not intended to be that way.

to explain

In your statement...

 Reasons.  As in, none given for pull systems, other than "we think
they'll work".  They will work, of course, but whether or not they'll
stop spam is another question.

you raised the point "whether or not they'll stop spam"

I just wanted to make it clear that *pull* is not about "stopping spam"

if it can't be defined how can it be stopped

Many people try define spam as it applies to them

but that is a very opinionated view of what is and what isn't spam, and
should not be the basis of any spam reduction system

No having said that...

The immediate side effect of any pull or origin verification system is those
who hide behind false return addresses will no longer be able to do so.

why do they hide?, so they can't be traced. if they can be they will stop...
till they find another way.

So from a technical point of view this is a never ending story.

just like copy protection on software. you cannot beat the hackers on
technical methods alone.

Regards
Chris